Marine locator markers – smoke markers – may be deployed from a CH-146 Griffon helicopter during the training.
If they are, however, they will be used at least two nautical miles away from shore and well clear of any vessels, the public advisory stated.
Although the smoke marker is non-explosive, they can cause severe burns in the event they are not completely expended.
The markers are 18-inch long cylinder-shaped canisters that are painted in light grey.
People should be cautious if they think they have discovered one and should follow the following steps:
- Don't touch or disturb the marker;
- Note the location of the object and leave the area;
- Call the following number as soon as possible 709-896-6900 extension 7331 or 709-896-1637;
- Report what you have found, and where you found it; and
- Follow any instructions you may be given.