Their luggage must have been a little heavier on the return trip home.
Athletes from Newfoundland and Labrador claimed 61 medals at the 2018 Special Olympics Canada Summer Games which concluded in Antigonish, N.S., over the weekend.
That’s actually far more than the number of competitors from this province who were in the Nova Scotia college town for the Games.
Team N.L. claimed 18 gold; 26 silver and 17 bronze, and there were countless personal best achieved. It’s worth noting that the athletics (track and field contingfent) delivered 33 medals in all.
Here is the complete list of medal-winners from this province, with their hometown/club and medals won by event:
• Lucas Antle, Burin Peninsula North — 2 gold (mini javelin, shot put)
• Sarah Bursey, Gander — 2 silver (50m run, mini javelin)
• Taylor Hann, Placentia — 2 gold (50m run, shot put), 2 bronze (mini javelin, standing long jump)
• Michael Harris, Gander — gold (standing long jump), 2 silver (200m run, mini javelin), bronze
• Peter Hynes, Placentia — gold (50m run), silver (mini javelin), bronze (standing long jump)
• Robert Moore, Tri-Con — gold (800m run), silver (standing long jump), bronze (1,500m run)
• Tony Moores, Grand Bank-Fortune — gold (standing long jump), silver (50m run)
• Bradley Murphy, Mount Pearl — gold (5,000m run)
• Mary Ellen Murphy, Tri-Con — gold (200m run), silver (standing long jump)
• Johnny Philpott, Gander — silver (800m run), bronze (running long jump)
• Samantha Walsh, Bay St. George — bronze (mini javelin)
• Crystal Young, Tri-Con — gold (standing long jump), silver (5,000m run), bronze (3,000m run)
• Male 4 100m relay team (Lucas Antle, Michael Harris, Robert Moore, Bradley Murphy) — silver
Other team member — Floressa Harris, Gander
Mary Head, Gander — bronze
Brianna Stansbury, C.B.S. — silver
Other team members — Zack Dean, C.B.S.; Kristen Tibbo, C.B.S.
Team NL (all athletes from Mount Pearl, unless otherwise indicated) — Nadia Brenton, Deon Cantwell, Shaughn Connors, Andrew Hynes, Eddie Hynes, Matthew Martin, Mike Mullaly (St. John’s), Mark Peddle, Jason Roche, Nick Styles, David Wells and Lyle Woodrow — bronze
• Sarah Brown, Gander — gold (200 m breaststroke), silver (50m butterfly)
• Ryan Drover, Mount Pearl — bronze (100m)
• Joshua Gardner, Exploits — gold (400m freestyle), 3 bronze (200m freestyle, 50m backstroke, 25m backstroke)
• Tara Lundrigan, Exploits — gold (50m breaststroke)
• Tyler Oliver, Tri-Con — 2 silver (100m freestyle, 50m freestyle), 2 bronze (50m butterfly, 25m freestyle)
• Thomas Pelley , St. John’s — 2 silver (100m IM, 50m freestyle), bronze (50m butterfly)
Other team members — Joshua Gardner, Exploits; Eleanor Hobbs, Tri-Con
Megan Hounsell, Mount Pearl — 4 gold (overall, hoop, ball, ribbon), silver (rope)
Other team member — Ava Walsh, Mount Pearl
Daniel Moores, Corner Brook — 2 gold (deadlift, 446lbs, squat, 363lbs) — silver (bench, 253lbs, overall)