Something has to be done about the drinking water in Happy Valley. I got up this morning to have my morning cup of tea and the water was so strongly chlorinated that I could not drink my tea.
I had to go up past Birch Island Beach and get a bucket of drinking water.
Something is wrong here. We live on the banks of the biggest river in this part of Canada and we do not have good drinking water.
With all of the stomach cancers in Happy Valley, I am wondering if the high levels of chlorine might have something to do with it.
As a concerned citizen I would appreciate a response from our council as to a plan to improve our water in Happy Valley.
The Labradorian contacted Wayne Wall, superintendent of water and sewer for Happy Valley-Goose Bay. He says that chlorine levels do vary a little day-to-day and the water is tested 365 days a year, according to specific guidelines, though many factors do vary chlorine levels.
If water sits in the reservoir, such as it did during the watering ban the town imposed a while back, the levels would be a little high.
Wall suggests people with the smell of chlorine in the water, let it sit a couple of minutes in an open glass until the chlorine dissipates.
If people in town still have chlorine taste or smell, they can call the town and have their water tested.