Trial postponed for men charged with robbing store

Rosie
Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Two men suspected of holding up a convenience store on St. Clare Avenue in St. John’s last year are scheduled to have their trial begin next fall.

Justin Gregory Doyle (left) and Jonathan Purcell were in provincial court in St. John’s Monday to have their trial rescheduled for October.

Justin Gregory Doyle, 22, and Jonathan Purcell, 26, were in provincial court Monday for what was supposed to have been the start of their trial.

But Crown prosecutor Bill Cadigan requested a postponement for more time to review the file.

Defence lawyers Karen Rehner (for Doyle) and Randy Piercey (for Purcell), along with Judge Lois Skanes agreed.

The trial was rescheduled for Oct. 6-10.

Cadigan expects up to 17 witnesses to take the stand.

Doyle and Purcell are accused of entering Walsh’s Convenience Store at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3 with their faces concealed and stealing a significant quantity of cigarettes.

The RNC said the store clerk and a customer sustained minor injuries during the robbery, but didn’t need to be taken to hospital.

When police caught up to the men shortly afterwards, Doyle was said to have had bear spray. It’s not believed to have been used in the robbery.

Both Doyle and Purcell are charged with robbery and being disguised with intent to commit a crime.

Doyle also faces charges of possessing a prohibited or restricted weapon and nine counts of breaching court orders.

Neither of the men are in custody. Both were granted bail shortly after their arrest.

 

rmullaley@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TelyCourt

Organizations: Convenience Store

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments