Duct-taped message found on roaming dog

Derek Montague

Owner calls it an act of animal cruelty

Nanook, a seven-year-old part husky, broke off its leash recently. When the dog came back home, his owner discovered a piece of duct tape with a written message stuck to his fur.

Kayla Everard of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is looking for the person, or persons, responsible for an act of “animal cruelty” against her dog.

Sometime during the morning of April 21 Everard’s seven-year-old part husky, Nanook, broke off his leash and went roaming around Spruce Park.

When Nanook came back home, Everard was shocked to see a piece of duct tape stuck on the dog’s back. On the strip of tape was a message, telling the owners to keep their dog under control.

“I went to work yesterday morning and she had slipped out. He had a harness on when he left,” recalled Everard. “When he came back, he didn’t have the harness, he had a piece of duct tape taped to his back. The tape said, ‘Tie your dog on. I hope he’s fixed.’”

“I was upset because I had to figure out how I was going to get it off without pulling the fur off. Luckily I didn’t get too much (fur).”

When Everard began taking the tape off Nanook, she noticed the dog was in discomfort. Luckily, she was able to take the tape off her dog without any lasting damage done.

“He tried to get away from me, it was causing him some pain but I did it as slow as I could so I wouldn’t remove a lot of fur,” said Everard.

Everard admits that Nanook often breaks free from his leash when he’s tied on. According to the dog owner, she and her husband has gone through four harnesses in the past year-and-a-half. But Everard believes there’s no excuse for what was done to her beloved dog.

“For one thing, it’s animal cruelty. There’s no reason why there should have been anything taped to him,” said Everard.

“He’s very passive. I’m actually surprised that someone got the tape on him. I’m thinking it had to have been a female, because he’s very timid around males.”

The same day as the incident occurred, Everard posted information about the incident on the Happy Valley-Goose Bay flea market page on Facebook. She was hoping to get information on who taped her dog. Instead, claims Everard, much of the Facebook comments blamed her for not having Nanook tied on.

“My post was deleted (by a flea market administrator) after I got some comments…saying I should keep my dog tied on and things like that,” said Everard.

“I definitely felt that I was being blamed for him getting out…so I had felt like I had done something wrong.”

As of the morning of April 22, Everard had not yet reported the incident to the RCMP. She is offering a reward for anyone with information about the incident.

SPCA condemns duct-taping incident

In wake of the duct-taping incident, the Happy Valley-Goose Bay SPCA is asking people to take responsible steps when dealing with loose dogs.

“Yes, people do get annoyed if there’s a roaming dog on their property or whatever. Sometimes, despite someone’s best efforts, sometimes they will get off their chain or break their chain,” said Happy Valley-Goose Bay SPCA public relations director, Bonnie Learning.

“But, having said that, who ever did that act, there’s other options they could have taken. All they had to do was call Kayla, call the owners, and tell them to keep their animal tied on, instead of putting a piece of duct tape with a note on the dog. Or, they could have called the town to pick the dog up. If it’s roaming, that’s the town’s responsibility.”

Even though Learning has never seen an alleged animal abuse incident like this before, she believes the person(s) responsible could be charged.

“If it was ever found out who did that, they could definitely be charged under the Animal Protection Act, no doubt,” said Learning.

“We have had several varying abuse cases come through our door in the past 13 years. But this is the first we’ve head of this one before.”

derek.montague@thelabradorian.ca

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Happy Valley, Goose Bay, Spruce Park

Comments

Comments

• Ed Dwyer
    April 25, 2014 - 11:34

Another report of cruelty to animals, I hope the person or persons who did is caught and charged and the judge throws the book at them, maybe a few days in the clink will make them think twice before they do this cruel act again Ed Dwyer, Oshawa

• JB25
    April 25, 2014 - 11:22

I'm willing to bet that this poor dog has been found roaming on a regular basis, and that the person that did this had good intentions. I'm also willing to bet that the owners have been approached about their glaring lack of dog control and have simply ignored their neighbour's concerns. This is both disrespectful to both the neighbourhood, and the dog that's been left to roam because of the owner's ignorance. The real cruelty lies in keeping one's dog 'tied on' and in knowingly allowing it to roam. You state in the article, 'I went to work yesterday morning and she had slipped out. He had a harness on when he left....' I understand this as your having full knowledge that your dog was off its tie-on and roaming your neighbourhood, and yet you left without trying to find the dog and correcting the situation. That is pure negligence on your part. If your dog escapes from your home on a regular basis, you need to remedy that. If you can't keep your dog tied on safely, then it's your duty as a pet owner to ensure that it is contained safely while left unattended outdoors. It's all part of being a responsible pet owner, and if you cannot fulfill these responsibilities, then you do NOT deserve to own a pet. Duct tape on a dog - not the best solution, but it was definitely effective, and I seriously doubt that it caused the dog any harm, as your part-Husky breed has a rather robust coat. I wonder if the person that did this was simply exasperated with your ignorance and wondered if a little bit of public humiliation was the only way to ensure the dog gets the care it deserves. Let's face it, this is a lose-lose situation for you. As a pet owner you have failed miserably. Please, please keep your dog safe.

• Big John
    April 24, 2014 - 12:43

It only takes one dog that isn't well tempered...

• Bob
    April 24, 2014 - 08:55

I walk most days and live in the mot. Yes this dog is usually welltempered but as said almost always off of a Leah or tethered in the yard. That said I've seen him laying in the road when cars are trying to drive by, chase cars, bark at kids.... beck he has gone into thw co-op before. Talking to others, I know the dog catcher has been called on him more than once, but he isn't picked up. Maybe this one day he did get off his harness, but that doesn't explain why he is off so much of the rest of the time. As for duck tape, maybe not the best idea but apparently it worked. And if the dog is so uncomfortable why not just trim the fur where it is connected... it isn't like the person kicked him in the face. It is just a bit of tape, and who ever did it wouldn't have had this dog been tethered as per town regulations.I'm doubting they saw the dog wondering around one time and decided to send the message. As a whole people are just sick of all these animals who spend most of their time outside roaming where ever they want.

• joann
    April 23, 2014 - 19:06

I was in Goose Bay visiting my aunt in spruce park early april and this dog was loose for the two weeks i was there. he is very friendly and just harmless i pet him talked to him almost every day and he was very loveable. there was no need to to do that to him calling the spca to find his owner would have been harmless and not as time consuming going to the trouble of taping him.

• Big John
    April 23, 2014 - 00:35

There are way too many dogs that "get off their leash" that roam the roads every day. This is hardly animal abuse.

• JGA
    April 22, 2014 - 21:49

Animal abuse? Gimme a break. Like a bit of duct tape is gonna hurt a big dog like that. If you don't like it, get a decent harness or tighten that one up, or are you afraid that will hurt the little darling. I'm a dog lover, but the owner here is in the wrong. The duct tape sounds like an excellent idea.