Highway accident sends two to hospital

Two people were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries following a collision on the Trans Canada Highway late Wednesday morning.

The motor vehicle accident happened in the eastbound lane east of Butter Pot Provincial Park. A car hit another vehicle parked on the shoulder of the highway and landed in a ditch. Both vehicles sustained extensive damage.

There was no one in the parked vehicle when the accident occurred — that person was reportedly fishing in the area.

Traffic was down to one lane because of the accident and moving slowly through the area. RCMP advised in a news release both lanes might be blocked at some point to accommodate removing the vehicles and clearing debris.

Road conditions appeared to be normal and visibility was good in the area. Paramedics, St. John’s Regional Fire Department and RCMP responded to the accident.

Organizations: RCMP, Regional Fire Department

Geographic location: Butter Pot Provincial Park

Comments

Comments

• Dee
    March 19, 2014 - 21:48

To start with it's a highway no car should be parked to go ice fishing,if there's not a medical emergency Or if the car is not broke down it should not be parked,also if my son was a boy scout he wouldn't be on the highway picking up bottles.

• Bernie
    March 19, 2014 - 14:31

I guess in short people have to be aware of their surroundings when driving. What if it were a group of boy scouts collecting recyclables for cleaning the side of the highway rather than a parked vehicle? It don't matter about all the if's but it is certain that the driver hit a parked vehicle.

• Robert
    March 19, 2014 - 14:12

Amanda! All the things you reference that can go wrong are very true but when they do and one is doing "anything" else besides driving the results are always catastrophic! I know I investigate accidents for a living. Cell phones are on the top of the list; they are far worse then any moose. If you have a cell phone and can't resist using it while driving put the stupid thing in the trunk of your vehicle!

• Amanda
      March 21, 2014 - 12:11

Robert - I am not sure what prompted your comment, but you must have miss read my comment like Thomas had miss read the article. To clarify, I do not have a cell phone, nor do I use one while driving. I am aware of the statistics and that many accidents are caused by cell phones. However, THERE IS NO MENTION ON A CELL PHONE IN THIS ARTICLE. So again I am confused why your comment went back there when all I asked was that people refrain from jumping to conclusions. People are quick to blame but I think everyone needs to realize that no matter how careful you are you can have a motor vehicle accident. That is why it is called accident.

• Amanda Snow
    March 19, 2014 - 12:55

Thomas, I must have missed the sentence that referred to someone talking on a cell phone, or anything that referenced a cell phone in general. Maybe, one should stick to finding out all of the facts before one jumps to conclusions. It has been recently reported that there are major problems with there being large pot holes on the TCH. Maybe someone hit one and blew a tire. There are also a hundred other reasons for something like this to happen, not just cell phones or speed or a young immature inexperienced driver. Next time your first comment might want to be "I'm glad that no one was seriously injured."

• Dolf
      March 19, 2014 - 18:18

Amanda, the owner of the parked vehicle was reportedly fishing. What was that again about potholes?

• Amanda
      March 21, 2014 - 12:01

Dolf - I was simply trying to express how there were reported pot holes on the TCH and how it was possible that could have caused the accident and not nessisarily a cell phone.

• Thomas
    March 19, 2014 - 10:54

Guess that is how one is rewarded for obeying the law by pulling over to answer the cell phone

• Steve
      March 20, 2014 - 01:20

I guess the story was to long for you to read or you just look at pictures nobody was in parked car they where fishing