Loretta Saunders’ family organizing large vigil

Derek Montague

Asking for people across Canada to help

Loretta Saunders

Delilah Terriak, younger sister of the late Loretta Saunders, is attempting to organize a nation-wide vigil to honour her sister and other women who have fallen victim to violence.

“While we found my sister, she and I know of too many stories of women who will not be laid to rest,” wrote Terriak on facebook. “This needs to change now. I plan on holding a country wide vigil and would love your help. This is for all women, not just you, me or Loretta.”

26-year-old Loretta Saunders of Happy Valley-Goose Bay went missing on Feb.13. After more than a week of searching for the pregnant Saint Mary’s University student, Saunders body was found off of a highway in New Brunswick, on Feb. 26. The police have ruled her death a homicide and Saunders former roommates, Blake Leggette and Victoria Hennebury have been charged with first degree murder.

Less than an hour after Terriak's request for help on social media, people from cities like St. John’s, Halifax, Oshawa, Ottawa, and Fort McMurray, agreed to organize a vigil in their community’s.

Terriak said she will be waiting a day or so before choosing a date for the big vigil.

More to come on this story.

Geographic location: Happy Valley, Goose Bay, Saint Mary New Brunswick Oshawa Ottawa Fort McMurray

Comments

Comments

• dean matthews
    March 05, 2014 - 11:49

I fill so sorry for your loss most of my family live in goose bay and my uncle lives just next door I was there when I was a kid I hope the family can be able to carry on and be strong you have all my blessings

• Darrell
    March 05, 2014 - 09:30

What a gorgeous looking lady! And to think how much good she would have done back home with her degrees is very sad.

• Chris Cutler
    March 02, 2014 - 18:21

Dear Delilah. My deepest sorrow for what has happened to you and your family with the lost of Loretta and her child.I was a part of a walk In the year 2000 called The World Woman's March Side by side 50.000 Women stood on the hill in Ottawa .we all lobbied Mp I was a part of a group Which Lobbied Dr.Carolyn Bennett She is now Critic for the Liberal Party on 1st Nation s Affairs.When I heard what happened to your sister.I wrote to her when I heard your sister and her childwere killed to a sk again fora National Inquiry.I am a Non Native Woman who embraces Medicine wheel and other 1st Teachings.There are some of us who truly care.I will continue to hold the Government accountable .I live out my desire for Reconciliation.I will Join any Vigil In My area to remember your sister I will continue to stand for a National Public Inquiry for Murdered and missing 1st Nation's Metis,Inuit and Innu Women In Peace and friendship Chris

• Chris Cutler
    March 02, 2014 - 18:19

• Sharon Barfett-Charles
    March 02, 2014 - 14:48

My heart goes out to your family. This is a terrible thing that never should have happened and is compounded by the fact is was done by trusted friends. You are a truly blessed person, to be thinking of others while you suffer thru life's worst challenge. I am hoping this vigil is a huge success and puts pressure on government to aid with this cause. I am just so sorry that this had to happen to your family before awareness was made.

• Violet
    March 02, 2014 - 12:55

Theses two people who took Loretta's life will not last in Dorchester jail in Nova Scotia good place to send them hang em high I say

• Violet
    March 02, 2014 - 12:53

• robin oakley
    March 02, 2014 - 12:34

I have a card and a small donation for Loretta Saunders Family--how can I get it to them? I have been trying through my networks--please let me know.

• Jodie Goodyear
      March 03, 2014 - 16:47

you can look up her sister Delilah Terriak on facebook she's really good at answering messages :)

• Louis Humphreys
    March 02, 2014 - 10:39

Hang 'em

• Annie Brass
    March 02, 2014 - 00:45

I find it unfortunate that this is what it takes to create an awareness of a Cause that is so heartfelt and affects so many people in our Nation. I only pray that the families who are missing loved ones can find peace and eventually closure if not at least Justice. I would like to help in some small way. I live in Saskatchewan and would be willing to assist if you require someone to organize in my area. All my relations...

• Christine
    March 01, 2014 - 22:42

For quite a few years now I have been leaving my porch lights on for those trying to find their way home. For the McCann's, for Burton for everybody. Turned my light off when Loretta was found....IT is back on now....

• gladys
    March 01, 2014 - 19:12

On behalf of my family i would like to give you all our condolences.This is such a terrible thing to have to be going through.

• Diane Michano richmond
    March 01, 2014 - 13:31

first of all let me extend my sincere sympathy to you, I got to see you on TV and thought what a beautiful woman, love your dimple on the right side of your face, I saw you first before you got the news of your sister, you have touched my heart that is why I am doing what I do here in Marathon. A few days before I heard about this story I had decided to volunteer for the Murdered and Missing woman, the day I started watching your story I felt pretty bad all day and did not know what was up, and when I saw you again you already had found out her state. Can you please let me know of the date so I can plan something in my town of Marathon, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Pikto'l Sa'ke'j Muise
    March 01, 2014 - 11:01

Kwe..Federal Government has FAILED there responsibly (Murdered and Missing Aboriginal Women In Canada) ,Using our monies to launch Drug/violence awareness among our people,BUT have not to this point in time :Launch additional inquiry off more than 650 or so women in this Country : when will the FED's put on their agenda and take action using our Money that put in trust for being on our land and using our resources : Don't you think it time : OR our people take complete action and GOVERN our own land and uphold in peace and friendship Treaty and Hire our own law to look after the Murdered and Missing women in Canada......Pikto'l Sa'ke'j Muise...Jr..111th...

• Belinda
      March 01, 2014 - 20:23

Here here it's time to stand up to our corrupt government ..