No injuries, family dog still missing after house fire
© Bonnie Learning
This house on Davis Cr caught fire during the early morning of December 29. The RCMP concluded that he home's woodstove pipe was the source of the fire
One man is lucky to be alive after a recent house fire on Davis Crescent in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
Homeowner Bob Elson says his 24 year-old stepson Derek was in the house at the time of the fire and was fortunate to escape in time.
“It was very close, he’s extremely lucky to have gotten out,” says Elson.
The RCMP quickly ruled that the source of the fire came from the home’s woodstove pipe.
Elson, himself, was in St. Anthony at the time of the fire. More than 24 hours after the incident, Elson was still in shock.
“It hasn’t sunk in yet. I haven’t seen anything yet,” said Elson on Dec. 30th.
“(I feel) shock, it’s just unreal, unbelievable.”
One other person, along with Bob and Derek, lived in the one-story trailer home and now have to look for a new place to live. Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.
Elson was still in St Anthony as of Dec. 30th, and wasn’t sure where he would be staying once he arrived home in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
“I have no idea yet. Put myself up in a hotel or somewhere I suppose,” he said.
Elson couldn’t say whether or not his personal belongings survived the blaze. But he doubts that much is left.
“A little bit of clothes or something, it’s not much.”
Although no people were harmed in the fire, the family cat was found deceased and Elson’s stepson was still missing his dog Titan, which hadn’t been seen since the incident.
If anybody finds Titan, they are asked to contact Derek at 896 7597.
Engulfed in flames
The Happy Valley-Goose Bay Fire Department received the call about the fire around 2:20 a.m. on the morning of Dec. 29th. When the dozen or so firefighters arrived, the one-story trailer home was already engulfed in flames.
“By the time we got there, she was pretty well engulfed then,” said Fire Chief Carl Oldford.
It was a freezing cold night, with a temperature of -30 degrees with the wind chill. The bitter temperature made fighting the fire much more difficult. It took approximately four hours for the fire to be put out, according to Oldford.
“With things freezing up, our equipment freezing… it made it treacherous for us trying to get around,” says Oldford. “We sprayed water, it turned to ice, and it made it harder for us to get around.”