UPDATE: RCMP receives new tips on Dana Bradley case

Deana Stokes Sullivan

The RCMP received two new tips from the public regarding Dana Bradley's murder in recent days surrounding the 32nd anniversary of her murder on Dec. 14.

Dana Bradley disappeared on Dec. 14, 1981. Her body was found in woods along a lane off Maddox Cove Road on Dec. 18, 1981.

Helen Cleary-Escott, the RCMP's senior communications strategist and media relations officer in Newfoundland, says, although the file is sometimes described in the media as a cold case, that's not accurate.

"Tips continue to be received on a regular basis and are thoroughly investigated," she said, pointing out that the entire five-person RCMP Major Crime Unit is involved in the file on a daily basis and is as committed as ever to solving the crime.

Interest and concern about what happened to Dana Bradley, a 14-year-old St. John's girl who was murdered in 1981, is still strong.

A Telegram story by Barb Sweet from 2011 on the anniversary of her death, headlined "No Justice for Dana," attracted more than 21,230 hits on The Telegram's website since last week.

Dana was reported missing on Dec. 14, 1981. She had been last seen on Topsail Road in St. John's. Four days later, on Dec. 18, 1981, her body was found off Maddox Cove Road by a family looking for a Christmas tree.

The RCMP continues to investigate this case and encourages tips or any information that might help find her murderer. A spokesperson for the force, said despite information that has been provided by the public over the years, there's nothing new to report on the case.

Related 2011 story No Justice for Dana

•••

(Earlier story from Dec. 16, 2013)

Interest still strong in Dana Bradley case

The case is 32 years old this year, but interest and concern about what happened to Dana Bradley, a 14-year-old St. John's girl who was murdered in 1981, is still strong.

A Telegram story by Barb Sweet from 2011 on the anniversary of her death, headlined "No Justice for Dana," has attracted more than 9,000 hits on The Telegram's website this week.

Related 2011 story No Justice for Dana

Organizations: The Telegram, RCMP

Geographic location: Topsail Road, St. John's, Maddox Cove Road

Comments

Comments

• Bob
    December 19, 2013 - 19:26

I think the local news paper needs to put the suspects picture in their papers every day top right corner and his description, I am sure someone was alive in 1981, somebody knows something and can identify that picture, let us face it, I am sure it was someone from the neighborhoods, such as Maddox Cove, Petty Harbor, Shea Heights ect, come on you folks in your 50s and 60s let us all put our heads together and think, who the hell is this fellow? He is local I feel it. This creep would be 57 or so right now.

• Bob
    December 19, 2013 - 19:22

• Lori
    December 17, 2013 - 15:02

RIP Dana, you were a good friend, remember the days we went to Harrington Elementary, remember the day as if it were yesterday. I hope they find the sicko who did this to her. It is so unfair.

• kevin
    December 17, 2013 - 14:20

this case is not solved because the rnc is the most incompetent police force in the country maybe north america. If this case was in another place it be solved. you cant solve crime at tim hortons

• peter
      December 17, 2013 - 15:25

It's an RCMP investigation not RNC Kevin

• Matt
      December 19, 2013 - 08:24

I know that for some reason you may be perturbed by our police force but unfortunately without more funding and training budgets they can only do what they can do. I understand your frustrations but I believe they are doing the best they can with what they got. Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays!! :-)

• Rob Somerton
    December 17, 2013 - 13:49

I so wish this case was solved long ago ( 32 Years ago to be exact )

• Bonnie Bianco
      December 17, 2013 - 19:16

Hey Rob, are you related to David Somerton in anyway?

• Debbie
    December 15, 2013 - 01:00

I can't believe this case is still not solved. With all the leads and the new technology in crime solving, this is ridiculous . Her parents are suffering to long not knowing what happened. Come on RNC and RCMP for the love of this child and her family and friends solve this so there can be some peace.

• Debbie
    December 15, 2013 - 00:59

• Virginia Myers
    December 13, 2013 - 18:00

Hard to believe that someone got away with murder

• Doug
    December 13, 2013 - 17:19

I wake up today to find myself crying after looking at Dana s picture in the Telegram. I was the same age as Dana... just a young boy on the way to developing into a young man. Dana was my first crush. She was always so nice to me. She had a heart of gold.. My heart was ripped in half when I heard the news that some heartless, gutless coward murdered her. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of her. My god...it s thirty two years later. I still hope that the low life that did this would come forward and do the right thing or that the authorities would catch up to him. To the monster that did this...I hope you have lived a life of internal torture. I hope you rot in hell for what you done to Dana. She didn't deserve to be stolen away from her family and this life.

• Linda
    December 13, 2013 - 12:46

I remember this sad sad news like it was yesterday. It still hurts my heart to know that there is so much evil in the world...RIP Dana