Full smoking ban coming at MUN

MUN clock tower

A full smoking ban is set to come into effect at Memorial University Thursday.

MUN said in a news release today it’s the final stage of a phased-in approach to banning smoking on all campuses.

“Memorial is committed to providing a safe, smoke-free environment for its students, faculty and staff,” said Kent Decker, vice-president  of administration and finance. “Going smoke-free will make Memorial University a healthier place to live, work and study.”

Memorial University said it encourages its community to respect the revised smoking policy and the rights of others to a healthy and smoke-free environment.

“The long-term health and safety of students and staff, the detrimental health impact of smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke, and the university’s ability to influence community and society through its policies and actions were factors that influenced the board’s decision,” said Decker.

The university is also conducting an awareness campaign, which includes posters and billboards near campus entrances, to highlight the restrictions.

“We hope and expect smokers to comply with the non-smoking policy,” said Sheila Miller, director of the Department of Health and Safety.

Memorial’s Board of Regents introduced the phased-in smoking ban in 2011, first banning smoking in doorways. Since last year, smoking has been banned at the Marine Institute, and allowed only at one location on the St. John’s campus and a single spot at MUN’s Grenfell Campus.

Smoking cessation assistance can be found through Memorial's wellness programs.

For more on Memorial’s smoking policy, see http://www.mun.ca/policy/site/policy.php?id=198.

Organizations: Decker.The university, Department of Health and Safety.Memorial, Marine Institute

Comments

Comments

• Y
    August 01, 2013 - 23:04

I'm afraid I may have to go begging for a student loan or find a wealthy benefactor if I want to continue at Memorial. For some time now, my parents have been threatening to pull me out of university on the grounds that it's become a "playpen" for "overgrown infants", and has more to do with contemporary dogmas and pointless vanity than what it does actual education. I fear this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. My parents insist that universities are places where professors and students sit around ashtrays, debating historical theories and philosophical positions. Anti-smoking policies, they say, have virtually nothing to do with health concerns, and are merely vain, elitist machinations that insure discrimination and subserviency--on par with the 'jim crow' sections of old. I'm a non-smoker, but I'm inclined to agree with them. I have a feeling my second semester at MUN will prove to be my last.

• A
    August 01, 2013 - 12:52

Good Grief...It seems Nfld is way behind the times. Smokers should not be allowed within 60 feet of the doorway. Second hand smoke causes CANCER!

• Mel
    August 01, 2013 - 10:13

I'm not a smoker myself but this seems to be a bit much.. MUN is big enough to have designated smoking areas located in places where they would not affect non-smokers. Whether someone chooses to smoke or not is their business and they have a right to do if they please. I can understand non-smokers not wanting to be around it all, but forcing people to move off campus entirely to have a cigarette seems unnecessary..

• david
    August 01, 2013 - 07:15

I think someone should check on this with Candace at MUNSU......it's pretty clear from her hilarious letter on the Labatt's issue in this very edition that no one can actually control what students must or should individually do. It's gold, Jerry....pure gold!

• jon
    August 01, 2013 - 03:07

As long as they don't ban bologna and break open tickets as well , wouldn't want to see a riot.

• Hank
    July 31, 2013 - 20:26

Answer to "Question-is weed in, NO, weed is not smoking it's toking, ha! ha!

• Paul
    July 31, 2013 - 20:16

Ok,its not only the smoking around doorways the irks me . Why is it that smokers think they have the right to throw there cigarette butts on the ground . Would they dispose of a chip bag or a gum wrapper the same .It's a dirty habit and the litter that goes with smoking only strengthens my support of this ban.

• Diane Wells
    July 31, 2013 - 18:12

Yet another step in the "zero tolerance" attitude being foisted on our global village. I sure hope an indoor/outdoor policy on wearing perfumes/colognes in bars and parks and other public places will follow. Then I will believe MY rights are being respected, too, even if I find this whole business of regulating the open air smacks of fascism.

• Hunter
    July 31, 2013 - 17:11

A lot of Memorial's funding comes from our provincial government's coffers. The government rapes smoker's finances with their excessive taxation of tobacco products. If Memorial is that dead set against smoking, then it's only natural that the province's funding of MUN should be reduced. I look forward to the next budget - Cathy can announce the government employees will not be laid-off, instead Memorial is going to paddle it's own canoe.

• Jay
    July 31, 2013 - 16:22

Everyone still smokes on campus. There's just butts everywhere now that they got rid of butt trays. Why not tax them more? They're dedicated customers and a rule that makes them look ignorant won't stop them.

• H JEFFORD
    July 31, 2013 - 15:42

SMOKING IS AN ADDICTION AND VERY HARD TO QUIT, I HAVE NOT SMOKED FOR ABOUT 7-YEARS, A SMOKER SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SMOKE IN THEIR OWN CAR OR ANOTHER AREA ISOLATED FROM THE GENERAL POPULATION. WHEN I SMOKED IF YOU WERE ON A PARADE GROUND BY YOURSELF SOMETIMES A NON SMOKER WOULD COME ALONG AND STAND BY YOU AND THEY WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SMOKE, YOU GET THOSE _ _ HOLES EVERYWHERE YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYONE,

• Greg
    July 31, 2013 - 14:21

A great idea and public relations exercise, but how will MUN enforce it? Two examples are no smoking signage at entrances to the QE 2 library and the Arts and Administration bldg which tell people not to smoke near the entrances but staff smoke there every single day.

• Anonymous
    July 31, 2013 - 13:53

Fine, let them try for an outright smoking ban, but it isn't going to work. However I would prefer if they stopped lying about how this has anything to do with the risk second-hand-smoke poses to non-smokers. That's not what this is about, never has been. MUN has a huge campus, they could easily have designated smoking areas away from doors and walkways where smokers wouldn't bother anyone. This is a social engineering project aimed at bullying smokers into quitting through ostracizing regulations. If second-hand-smoke was really their concern they would set up several designated smoking areas around campus, I think students and staff would actually respect that policy and use the designated areas. However smokers on campus are simply going to ignore an outright ban, and rightfully so.

• Good for MUN
    July 31, 2013 - 13:31

Good for MUN - i Hope the students at the St. John's Campus don’t start doing what the hospital workers did go to that bridge on the Long Pond trail and smoke there. That trail is already littered with cigarette butts, and even on random times when there is no one there smoking, it still smells like rotten cigarette smoke (good job health care professionals). You'd think these "Health Care Professionals" would have enough sense not to smoke on a trail that is regularly used by Children – Hopefully the students will don't follow.

• Question
    July 31, 2013 - 13:23

Is weed included?

• flexxa
    July 31, 2013 - 13:15

...and how do they plan to enforce it? i work for MUN at HSC and when leaving the emerg entrance earlier the spring i politely asked two older ladies to honor the non-smoking sign outside the entrance. I was promptly politely told to go pleasure myself!

• Ryan
      July 31, 2013 - 16:36

That's when u get campus enforcement after them. Tiny will give them a scare